Monday, January 28, 2008

Introduction

Having just completed another of our annual “Winterfest” gatherings with our clients and friends, I reflected on the questions and concerns that our guests shared with me, and decided that a Blog of my thoughts and experiences regarding industry issues would be a good way for me to stay in touch with all of you, and also to get feedback from you regarding burning questions of the day.


As 2008 begins, I’m hearing concerns from people just like you about the economy, the environment, the cleaning products and machines that we use, and the “politics” of our industry. I hope you’ll find what I have to share of value to you, and I’ll look forward to getting feedback from you with questions of your own.


My thought for today is this:


“Feeling safe with carpet is more important than feeling dry carpet”


I never thought I’d utter those words. For the last several years, my mantra was: “It’s the drying time stupid! It seemed (and still seems) that the next question anyone gets about carpet cleaning, after “how much”, is “How long will it take to dry?


That question helped to start a very successful cleaning franchise, and had much to do with the tendency of carpet cleaners to move from “mid range” truck mounts to “super truck mounts” (some of which cost 100K and more!).


What I think we over looked was why people wanted fast drying. Certainly they liked the convenience, but at a deeper level, they were worried that “wet carpet” had “bad chemicals” in it that would burn or sicken them, their children, or their pets. And, sadly, sometimes this was true.


What consumers are looking for today, in 2008, are carpets that dry quickly, dry soft to the touch, and that they feel assured are not contaminated with harmful chemicals.


In my next blog entry I’ll discuss what choices you have in products and procedures to help your customers feel more reassured about your cleaning process.

0 comments: